It is no secret that the foods you eat significantly impact your overall health. A balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and lean protein goes a long way toward helping you stay active and healthy. Did you know the same applies to your hearing? A recent study connects healthy eating with a lower hearing loss risk. Moreover, it is not just the foods we put into our bodies but the number of calories we consume as well. Keep reading and find out how eating the right foods and less empty calories can help you hear better.
Your ear is sophisticated, and it includes the tympanic membrane, small bones, the cochlea, and other sensitive parts that enable you to hear correctly. Free radicals, which are molecules that damage your body at the cellular level, damage your ear and lead to an age-related hearing loss. This connection is why most people experience some degree of hearing loss by the time they reach 60 years of age. By decreasing the amount of food we eat, we activate Sirt3 which slows down the aging process by defending us against the impact of free radicals. Eat less, and you will live longer and hear better.
Minerals And Hearing
Minerals play a vital role in supporting our overall health and body functions. Zinc is good for immunity and calcium can strengthen your bones. Here are a few minerals that can help you hear better:
- Potassium controls the amount of fluid in your inner ear. This fluid helps to translate noise into electrical impulses for the brain to interpret as sound. The aging process diminishes potassium levels which contribute to the age-related hearing loss so keep the potassium levels up.
- Magnesium combats free radicals associated with loud noise. This action helps to protect you against age-related hearing loss.
- Folic acid helps to produce new cell growth. Low levels of folic acid can cause presbycusis. Folic acid can slow this process down.
- Zinc, as previously mentioned, boosts the immune system. It fights ear infections and helps treat tinnitus.
Foods For Better Hearing
To fight hearing loss, you need to choose foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals. These foods include:
- Broccoli contains vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber which help to prevent free radicals from damaging ear tissue.
- Bananas help to expand blood vessels and improve circulation in the inner ear. This action helps to protect you from hearing loss.
- Dark chocolate besides being delicious is full of zinc which prevents age-related hearing loss.
- Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids that reduce your chances of getting the age-related hearing loss.
Don’t Forget Your Vitamins
Vitamins are essential in supporting the health of your eyes, heart, immune system, and your hearing. Vitamins A, B, C, D, and E are excellent supplements for maintaining hearing ability. There is also research that suggests vitamins fight noise-induced hearing loss.
Choosing foods with essential vitamins and minerals is good for your overall health as well as hearing loss prevention. Eat a well-balanced diet that includes healthy foods, minerals, and vitamins and eat less of them. Adequate nutrition will go a long way in helping you fight age-related hearing loss.